Dogs in Canterbury, Whitstable and Herne Bay
If you plan to bring your dog on holiday to the Canterbury district it is essential that you confirm your holiday accommodation provider's policy on acceptable pets before you leave. Consider where you will take your pet and what you will do with them whilst you are visiting attractions and restaurants which don't accept pets.
Never leave your pet unattended in a vehicle when it is warm or hot outside.
Dogs on Beaches
Between 1st May and 30th September dogs are not allowed on two sections of beach. These Control Orders coincides with the Coastal Award areas.
1. Tankerton Bay (between 1st house and start of beach huts at Safety Point 14 - boundary lines marked on promenade)
2. Herne Bay Central Beach (between Lane end and the Pier)
These two sections of beach are where the Dog Control Orders coincide with the coastal award areas. Dog Control Orders also apply to sections of the promenade in the same areas - dogs must be kept on leads.
There are signs to show banned areas. Mostly they are sprayed onto the ground of the promenade at entry points to both locations. You must clear up after your dog in all areas, at all times.
98% of our coast is dog friendly and the remaining 2% is only a seasonal ban.
To find out the latest up to date information regarding dogs on beaches please visit www.canterbury.gov.uk/coast