- See & Do
- Dining Out
- Canterbury District
- Plan My Visit
Descend 100 years with each step or by lift to the Roman street level. Stroll through the marketplace, look inside recreated Roman rooms, and discover amazing finds including a hoard of hidden treasure.
See how little has changed since Roman times when viewing rare tools, or how much could be made of simple items like bones. Be amazed by collections of intricate Roman glass flasks and bottles, jewellery and a silver spoon hoard.
Handle, sort and classify real Roman pottery fragments and other objects relating to Roman:
- everyday life
- building materials
Museum highlights include Roman:
- mosaic floors preserved where excavated
- hypocaust (underfloor heating system) preserved where excavated
- digital reconstruction of a Roman town house
- rare cavalry horse-harness fittigs, one of only two sets in the world
- rare tools - Roman spade, carpenter's square and mason's trowel
- gateway hinge, part of Canterbury's Riding Gate on Watling Street to Dover
- building materials including roof tiles with Roman dog-paw prints
- painted plaster fragments with flowers, patterns and dancer's feet
- finds from Canterbury's Roman baths, including gaming counters, toiletry items and bath lining
- figurines of gods including horse goddess and Gaulish male
- metal vessels, ewers and dishes used in religious ceremonies
- pottery, imported fine Samian ware and locally-made pots
The impressive pillared entrance is in Butchery Lane and very close to the Cathedral.
Child - Free to a maximum of 2 children per paying adult
Free entry (except to some special events) for Canterbury Residents Card holders. If you don't have a Residents Card, come in and sign up to receive free entry today!
A joint ticket for the Canterbury Roman Museum and Canterbury Heritage Museum can be purchased: Adults £10.00, Discounts £8.00
|Season Dates||Opening Hours|
|Sat 30 Mar 2013 - Tue 31 Dec 2013||Mon - Sun 10:00 to 17:00|
|Notes||Last Entry 4.15pm. Circumstances may cause changes in opening times - please ring to check before making a special trip.|
Longmarket, Butchery Lane, Canterbury, CT1 2JR
Map reference: TR 150577 Lat: 51.27873 Long: 1.08139
Parking : with charge
Nearest station : 1 mile (1.6 kms) from Canterbury East station
Access to Roman level via lift, then level access throughout museum.
|Sat 25 May 2013 - Sun 2 Jun 2013||Meet the Romans|
|Mon 27 May 2013||Roman Ramble|
|Sat 13 Jul 2013||Smelly Bits and Skeleton Pits|
|Sun 14 Jul 2013||Smelly Bits and Skeleton Pits|