- See & Do
- What's On
- Dining Out
- Canterbury District
- Plan My Visit
Dating back to the 1790's, Whitstable Castle and Gardens has been home to local merchants and dignitaries remaining a landmark attraction throughout its history. It is a 'must see' for everyone visiting the town of Whitstable.
Castle Street, Canterbury, CT1 2PR, Tel: 01227 862162, Email
The ruins of a Norman castle keep and castle walls and one of the three original royal castles in Kent. There are interpretation panels, a tactile model of the castle (circa 1200AD) and elevated viewing areas.
Longport, Canterbury, CT1 1PF, Tel: 01227 767345, www.english-heritage.org.uk/staugustinesabbey
This great Abbey, marking the rebirth of Christianity in southern England, was founded in AD 597 by St Augustine.
North Holmes Road, Canterbury, Kent, CT1 1PW, Tel: 01227 768072, www.martinpaul.org
St Martin's Church is the oldest in England still in use as a parish church and is part of the Canterbury World Heritage Site. This church was the first base of St Augustine when he came to Canterbury in 597.
Church Lane, Canterbury, CT1 2PP, Tel: 01227 786109, Email, www.canterbury.gov.uk/your-community/support-for-voluntary-and-community-organisations/parishes/
Situated near Canterbury Castle and the only standing pre-Norman conquest church inside the city walls.
80 London Road, Canterbury, CT2 8LS, Tel: 01227 786109, Email
The church is 1000 years old and was the first to be dedicated to St Dunstan.
Mill Lane, Herne Bay, CT6 7DR, Tel: 01227 687487, www.herne-mill.btik.com
Herne Mill is a Kentish Smock Mill dating from 1789. It is Grade 1 listed, is owned by Kent County Council and cared for by the volunteers of the Friends of Herne Mill.
Central Parade, Herne Bay, CT6 5LU, Tel: 01227 363829, Email
In the spring and summer months the seafront's beauty is enhanced by gardens, which bring floral colour for visitors who pass the Clock Tower and Bandstand.
Island Wall, Whitstable, CT5 1EP, www.favourite.org.uk
This oyster yawl, which is also known as a smack, was built in 1890 by the Whitstable Shipping company and worked until 1944. She can now be viewed between the seawall and Island Wall, about 200m east of the Neptune pub.