The Canterbury Cross
Dating from about AD 850, this cross was discovered in 1867 during excavations in St George’s Street, Canterbury, and subsequently bequeathed to the museum by Dr H. Wacher. It is famous around the world as a symbol of the Anglican Church.
The cross incorporates a number of sophisticated techniques. It is cast in bronze with incised decoration, and with applied silver triangles engraved and filled with niello (black) enamel to give subtle contrasts of colour.
The Canterbury Cross. © Canterbury Museums and Galleries collection