'We'll come again. That was as much fun for me as it was for the children'
There are hands-on activities for all ages throughout Canterbury Heritage Museum. You can:
- Piece together an Anglo-Saxon brooch
- Write your name in Runes
- Try on an Elizabethan ruff or write with a quill
- Listen to Conrad stories
- Find where the bombs fell during the Canterbury blitz
- Try on a wartime helmet
- Climb into a real Morrison air-raid shelter
- Watch an episode of Bagpuss
- Play Rupert's snakes and ladders
- Listen to Paul McCartney's 'Frog Song'
The Medieval Discovery Gallery is packed with activities designed for children and families to explore Canterbury's buildings, inhabitants and visitors:
- Make patterns of medieval tiles
- Look at gold thread through a microscope
- Build the city
- Follow the trail to St Thomas Becket's shrine
- Match the characters from archbishops to ale sellers
- Piece together fragments of a jug
- Feel a potter's finger marks
- Sort medieval rubbish
- Smell medieval poo
- Record finds like an archaeologist
Look out for special events with opportuinities to handle real objects and talk to experts.