The Godwine Charter at The Beaney House of Art & Knowledge
An exceptionally rare document, written in Old English between 1013 and 1018 AD, which records proceedings at a Canterbury court a thousand years ago. It was held at Canterbury Cathedral until the the 17th century and has recently been acquired from a private collection by Canterbury Cathedral Archives.
The Beaney display celebrates the Charter’s return to the city where it belongs. Purchased with very generous support from the National Heritage Memorial Fund, the Friends of the National Libraries, the Friends of Canterbury Cathedral, the Coral Samuel Charitable Trust, and private donors. www.canterbury-cathedral.org/history/archives
|Sat 15 Jun 2013 - Sun 12 Jan 2014|
|Notes||Located in The Drawing Room.|
ContactThe Beaney Art Museum and Library
email a friend
VenueThe Beaney House of Art & Knowledge
18 High Street, Canterbury, CT1 2RA
Map reference: TR 148578 Lat: 51.27968 Long: 1.07946
Located in the high street adjacent to Best Lane.
Parking : with charge
Accessible by Public Transport : 1 mile (1.6 kms) from Canterbury West station