About the Beaney
The Beaney is an art museum and library situated in the heart of the historic city of Canterbury. Following a £14 million restoration project (£7 million of which was provided by the Heritage Lottery Fund) the revitalised Beaney re-opened its doors to the public in September 2012.
This fabulous facility provides state-of-the-art exhibition galleries, a brand new and extended library, excellent educational facilities and a varied programme of interactive events for all ages.
The building takes its name from its benefactor, Dr James George Beaney, who died in 1891 and left money in his will to the city of Canterbury. The city council had the Beaney Institute (as it was formerly known) designed and built using this funding along with some of its own resources. The architect was A.H.Campbell and the building was officially opened on 11 September 1899.
On 16 September 1897 the Mayor of Canterbury laid the Beaney Institute's foundation stone. Canterbury had been left a bequest by former resident, Dr Beaney.
Follow the beaney on:
Current Special Exhibition
Upcoming Special Event
Events & Exhibitions
Have details of our latest exhibitions and events sent straight to your inbox