Creativity is central in making the Beaney a vibrant and exciting place for everyone. Whenever possible we offer opportunities for artists to create, explore, engage, share and challenge using our collections and building as a resource for inspiration.
Animal Magic – a celebration of birds, beasts and bugs!
The Beaney House of Art & Knowledge is inviting submissions from Kent based 2D artists and photographers to be part of the upcoming exhibition Animal Magic - a selling show celebrating birds, animals and insects, in the wild or as pets, real or imagined. The exhibition will be situated in The Beaney Front Room. Work will be selected from submissions that explore this interesting topic. We welcome a wide-ranging interpretation of the theme!
The Beaney Armchair Residency
Kent based Creatives – we need you at The Beaney!
May until August 2015
The Beaney Armchair Residency offers you the opportunity to explore this fantastic building and be inspired by its collections, people, and stories.
Erstwhile Armchair residents Jill Holder and Bob Lamoon, would strongly urge any artists considering an application to “Go for it! The Collection is truly inspiring.” Jill and Bob feel the opportunity has given them time to reflect on their own practices, learn about curatorial processes all the while being supported by friendly and knowledgeable staff throughout The Beaney.
Jill and Bob would encourage the successful applicant to “embrace the rich content of the Collection, the surprises and quirks, the balance of historic and contemporary and indeed the whole wonderful experience.”
You can read blogs from previous Armchair residents here.
As one of our artists in the Armchair we want you to:
• Visit a minimum of 6 occasions over your residency and use the collections, people and stories to inspire your work
• Post a minimum of 6 blogs about your Armchair experience which will be displayed on the Canterbury Museums blog: canterburymuseums.wordpress.com
• Hold a ‘meet the artist’ opportunity to interact with the public
• Have £5 million public liability insurance cover
In return we will:
• Provide you with access to the collections
• Promote your residency work
• Give you access to the Learning Lab (Approx. 35sqm, 3 x sinks
and wet floor) for use as a studio space when not in use by
• Offer up to £200 towards travel expenses
We welcome submissions from creative people of all mediums and genres.
Interested? Then email your C.V. with a letter telling us why you’d like to use the Armchair Residency and what you’d like to achieve (in no more than 500 words) to: email@example.com by noon on Monday 23 February 2015.
Please put “Armchair Residency” in the subject line.
We look forward to hearing from you!