People and Places
Paintings, prints, drawings, ceramics and sculpture, from Chaucer and his pilgrims in The Canterbury Tales to woodland, seascape and Cathedral views, musicians, martyrs, hop-pickers and nobles, selected from the museum collections and loan.
All Canterbury's oil paintings can be seen at http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings.
Items on display include:
- St Cecilia, Unknown artist
- Mr Goodban of Canterbury Catch Club, Unknown artist
- William Oxenden Hammond (1883), Frank Holl (1845 - 1888)
- Richard Halford (about 1801), Unknown artist
- Sir Thomas Hales MP, Jean-Baptiste van Loo (1684 - 1745)
- Colonel Francis Hammond, Attributed to Cornelius Johnson
- Colonel Robert Hammond, Cornelius Johnson
- Deane, near Canterbury (1840), copy after engraving by Louis Raze attributed to Charles Tattershall
- Broome Park, near Canterbury, copy after engraving by Louis Raze attributed to Charles Tattersall
Canterbury from Kingsmead by Alfred Dawson, 1881. An evocative, small example of the many Canterbury Cathedral images in the museum collection.
Upcoming Special Exhibitions
Have details of our latest exhibitions and events sent straight to your inbox