Volunteering at the Beaney
We are always keen to work with volunteers, both at the Beaney and across our other museums in the district.
Volunteering is an excellent way to learn new skills and meet new people whether you are interested in getting into a career in museums, or would just like to help out.
Volunteers will gain a wide experience of museum work whilst helping out with many of the activities listed below.
Assist in running activities and manning explorer and information points, as well as getting hands-on with the tasks to help and inspire the visitor.
Assist with the unpacking, mirror plating, display hanging, preparation of captions and interpretation, taking down, packing and clearing up.
Researching links with the national curriculum or the council's strategic policies that help produce museum activities and events that will help us reach new audiences.
Artefact archiving and database entry:
Gain experience in cataloguing artefacts onto a computerised database and improving existing data. You will receive training in safe handling procedures and assist in labelling and storing the collections.
Researching the collections in order to increase our knowledge of the artefacts we hold. You will also assist in answering public enquiries about them.
Digital scanning and photography of artefacts:
Taking digital images of artefacts with cameras and scanners for use on the museum database and for sale.
And many others...
For more information and an application form please email: Craig Bowen
Develop your Marketing and Communication skills within the cultural world and gain valuable experience along the way.
Potential tasks may include:
- Inputting content to The Beaney and Canterbury Museums and Galleries websites, ensuring consistency of brand application.
- Assisting with the population and distribution of regular Canterbury Museums and Galleries e-newsletters.
- Building online engagement through Social Media, building a community of support for Canterbury Museums and Galleries.
- Supporting the delivery of excellent visitor service for The Visitor Information Centre.
- Contributing to Canterbury Museums and Galleries blog.
Preferred Attributes & Experience
• Basic knowledge of CMS based systems, specifically, Wordpress.
• Basic knowledge of Google analytics
• Well-developed ICT skills, particularly in the use of MS Office applications
• Good written communication skills
• Desire to learn new technologies & participate in learning experience
• Experience of working in a marketing environment
• Experience of using publishing and design programmes, e.g. Photoshop
• Experience of managing social media accounts and associated campaigns
Volunteers will have the opportunity to work with the Canterbury Museums & Galleries Marketing Team, including the opportunity to shadow the Head of Marketing & Visitor Experience, gaining valuable experience within the cultural sector.
Interested? Then email your C.V along with availability (in no more than 500 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put “Marketing Volunteer” in the subject line.